Friday, August 17, 2018

How to care for Handmade Clothing

I have been sewing since High School. I only took 1 fashion construction class and the rest of my information is self taught through trail and error mostly, books I've read over the years, and Youtube. I've also taken some classes on Skillshare and I've learned a lot from them to improve my art and sewing work. 

As I begin to create more handmade clothing items for my Etsy shop, I've wanted to create a care guide for my customers. But not just people who support my shop but to customers who prefer handmade or vintage items over mainstream fashions. 


I don't claim to know everything about it but this is what I've learned so far. When I think of or learn of better ways, alternatives, and other updated information I will update this blog post accordingly. 


I know most Goth's swear by woolite for dark clothing, but personally I'm allergic to fragrance and some artificial dyes can irritate and dry out my skin. I've also found that the coloring added to detergents can change or fade the vibrant colors in clothing faster. Especially when you have natural fibers and plant based biodegradable dyes used in the process. Unless a seller mentions that in the description there's no real way to know all of the information about most fabrics unless you do most of the process yourself or have a relationship with people who do. 


Hand wash in cold or cold warm water in a sink, bucket, tub, or whatever you feel comfortable with and leave to hang dry. 



I highly suggest you invest into a steamer if you don't already have one, a steam setting on your iron at home, or drop them off at the dry cleaners especially if you don't wear them often and want to maintain them more. 


I know it's very rare but sometimes, Goth's do wear white. And for your whites to stay white, I recommend spot treating the stains if you have any with diluted bleach with detergent and water. Soaking and then spot treating immediately so the stains can't set. 


Spot treat pens may become your new best friend if you like wearing lots of light or bright colors. These help to spot treat immediately without having to wait until you get home to start the whole care process. 

I have sensitive skin and I can't always work with strong chemicals, bleach, and detergent pens cna be hit or miss for my health.  So if you are looking for more natural remedies for caring for your clothing, how to get out certain stains, etc. I recommend checking out dontwastethecrumbs.com and other natural blogs out there. 


Skip the dryer and leave your clothing to dry. Outside is best because the wind going through it will help prevent stiffness and sometimes wrinkles. If you can't hang your clothing outside, maybe try hanging them in the bathroom over the tub using the shower rod. And turn on the fan in the bathroom or set up a house fan near it. Every few hours turn the clothing in a different direction so everything can dry evenly, no hanger creases, no mildew smell, or stiffness. 


The same or similar rules apply with a drying rack you can find one of these online or in ikea or something like that. By setting this near a window you get some of the same benefits as drying outside. You may need to mop below every once in a while to prevent floor damage or put down a towel or rung below it. 


Towel drying clothing is a great alternative to hanging them, especially while traveling. It reduces the mess, and items can dry more evenly if it's something you prefer over hanging. 



You're probably used to laundry sorting by colors to prevent color bleeding. But If you really want to preserve your delicate clothing I suggest separating by texture. Place light fabrics like lace, light cottons, mesh, etc together. Separate items that have buttons, zippers, hooks, clips, studs, spikes, etc so they don't catch on the other fabrics and cause rips, tugs, and frays. If you have faux leathers, pvc's, corsets, or anything that has more structure. You will need to wash those separately to make it easier to know how harsh you want to be with those items at once. 


Do not pour bleach directly to clothing. Bleach can breakdown fibers over time, make them thin, weak, and clause holes, tears, discoloration, etc. A bleach pen may be a slightly diluted dose which allows a bit of control. But even with splash proof bleach I often find myself over pouring and making a huge mess. 





No comments:

Post a Comment